Sunlight and Shadows

Sunlight and Shadows

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Thinking about... essential moorings



This year autumn colors have been spectacular in the Rocky Mountains and foothills. Early rains and a sudden cold snap created unusually deep fall colors.

We took a drive into the hills near my mother's home on a beautiful late September day. White grain fields, clear deep blue skies, bright sunshine and vibrant trees made me wish I were an expert photographer.

Kevin and I shared a deep sense of peace as we traveled the miles together.  We have traveled a great many miles of this life together since the day he first asked me to be his wife.

I am always thankful for our bond of solidarity and love. I know neither of us can never quit working to keep our marriage strong and sacred. For our family this relationship is an essential mooring.

A mooring is defined as a permanent structure to which a boat is secured.  In our lives we need moorings as the days and years of our lives bring new waves of challenges and learning experiences that test and refine us.

As increasing tragic events have populated the news in the past weeks, we are reminded that human life and existence on this earth is a fragile thing.  Fear and uncertainty can easily replace calm and confidence inside our quiet places.

We have witnessed in these events many people who have displayed unusual courage. I have wondered if I could maintain my own courage and ability to act quickly and in the best interest of others in the face of devastation and destruction. I would hope my own moorings would be strong enough.

I believe there are several things that help give our families the essential moorings they need.  Some of these include:
  • Being part of a family that is bound together by ties of love, commitment and faithful companionship.

  • Having a knowledge of and pride in our own unique family and cultural heritage and understanding that all people have a unique and wonderful cultural heritage.

  • Learning by serving at a young age; to be a contributing, building, responsible member of a community. By that process we learn to live our lives not only for our own selfish interests and desires but to contribute where we can.

  • Helping children (and later as grown adults) to respect and care for others by showing respect and caring for them as we interact with them on a daily basis. 

  • Having faith in a higher power that can bless our lives.  (For Kevin and I this faith comes from being members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.)




No comments: